Brief about Apple Mail
Apple Mail is the default mail client of the MAC operating system, which was originally developed by NeXt (apple acquired company) as NeXt Mail. The various email accounts can be configured in Apple Mail client (like Google Mail, Yahoo Mail, Hot Mail, I-Cloud, etc) using SMTP, POP, and IMAP protocols.
Because of its features and benefits, Mac Mail is very popular among many MAC users. But as we know Outlook is some easy to use, that is why many Apple users look to convert MAC mail to Outlook.
File Format of Apple Mail
Apple Mail uses .mbox extension format to store email data in the local system of the user. It means every folder (Inbox, Draft, send) in Apple Mailbox has .mbox extension behind it. And inside these folders, there is an MBOX file, all your emails and attachments are stored in this MBOX file.
The Data of a single email message inside MBOX file in stores in .emlx format. So in the layman language data of single email message is stored in EMLX format and a combination of all these .emlx extensions is called the MBOX file.
Location of Apple Mail file in Users System.
Location of the .mbox file in Apple user system -
Location of .emlx file - user/library/mail/account/inbox.mbox/messages/
Manual Method to Convert Apple Mail to Outlook PST
The Manual Procedure to Export MAC Mail to Outlook for Windows is laborious and not to secure. The simple reason for the Apple Mail to Outlook conversion is an Apple Mail and Outlook both are different OS, so there is no direct method to migrate Apple Mail to Outlook.
To perform the transfer process you just need a third-party email client (like Eudora Mail). So before starting the procedure, please download the Eudora mail (Open source) desktop-based email client.
Note: Manually Mac Mail to Outlook PST Conversion by using Eudora Mail client is possible with Outlook 2007 and its below versions.
This conversion process is divided into two parts
- Transfer the Apple-based MBOX file to Eudora.
- Move Emails from Eudora Mail to Outlook.
» Transfer the Apple-based MBOX file to Eudora.
- Step1- Rename all the files in (which you want to transfer) Apple Mail Mailbox folders from .mbox to name.MBX.
- Step2- Now Run Eudora mail and double click on the file that you renamed and move to the Eudora directory. This way the file got created.
- Step3- Now close the Eudora mail.
» Move Emails from Eudora Mail to Outlook.
The 2nd step of the manual procedure to migrate Apple Mail to Outlook starts from here.
- Step1- Open Outlook in your system.
- Step2- Click on the File option on the top left of the screen.
- Step3- Choose the Import and Export option.
- Step4- Select Import Internal Mail and Addresses option from Import and Export Wizard >> Press Next.
- Step5- Select the Eudora option in Outlook Import tool window >> Press Next.
- Step6- Select the option of retaining or replacing the duplicate as per your choice >> click Finish.
The manual process can do the job to convert Mac Mail to Outlook for you. But as you see, the manual process is lengthy and limited with Outlook 2007. The personcan perform this method easily and with the safety of data, who has good knowledge of Apple Mail, Eudora Mail and Outlook.
So I recommend you to use the MailsSoftware MBOX to PST Converter tool for apple MBOX to PST conversion,